Before you immediately roll your eyes and say "Ug, New Years Resolutions never stick, are pointless, and only lead to disappointment, hear me out.
That exact statement and thought process is likely exactly why you rarely or never follow through on a resolution (new year or not). I feel the same way about New Years that I do about the start of any month. Its a fresh start! I am a firm believer in setting realistic goals so I tend to view "January" as I would any month. A chance to form a new healthy habit for 4 weeks! 4 weeks? Yes this is reasonable, this allows for a set time frame that is less daunting and far more tangible.
So instead of setting ONE enormous life changing ground breaking one year long resolution why not set 12 mini 4 week challenges?! Maybe they won't stick, maybe you get to the 4th week each month and think holy hell I cannot wait for this month to be over, but I am confident along the way you will find at least one that will stick and "January" next year you will look back and laugh, reflect and likely feel pretty accomplished. Mindset is everything.
My 12 mini challenges for 2018:
- January: Pilates + Write. One: this month I am starting something new, Pilates! I am beyond excited to join Lead Pilates as an ambassador and I can't wait to challenge myself physically and mentally. Two: in 2017 I started this little blog and I have fallen in love with writing, this year I want to write more. Its a creative outlet that brings my stress levels down immensely.
- February: Increase my savings by 5%, I do this every year. I set up automatic savings a few years ago and each February I increase it. Making this automatic takes the guess work out and ensures success! Pay yourself first, always.
- March: 24 days of nourishing my body and crushing some short high intensity workouts at Motion Fitness before I head to a wonderful little San Diego bachelorette! Should I share the 3 week program I do?!
- April: Meal prep for my husband for the whole month, its his bday month, and he appreciates when I cook for him more than anyone has, ever.
- May: Get serious about finding our next "forever" home.
- June: Yoga challenge. I have a 10 pass package at my fav studio One Yoga that expires in July so I need to commit to using this!
- July: Take my workouts outdoors! Every year I say I will do this, then I don't. We have a beautiful summer here and their are free community bootcamps and great running paths, no excuses!
- August: Go to the lake at least twice and camp, its Scott's favorite and August is the last real month in Sask you can do this without freezing at night #princess.
- September: Do another 4 week workout challenge! Increase the intensity and get moving indoors again! The summer is always full of patio's and socializing so its a good way to reset!
- October: Plan our annual bday trip to Banff and take a little holiday. I look forward to this each year and I want to get ahead of the planning this time!
- November: Christmas Shop, every single year I wait too long, the crowds are insane, and I want to ensure I shop locally for 90% of my gifts and doing it in November will assist with staying on budget and local. Check out this year's local gift guide, it was and is my favourite blog post!
- December: Celebrate Christmas in our new home with our first annual Christmas as real #adults aka we host...one can dream right?!
What are your mini challenges for 2018? Set one, ten, or however many you want! Make them 4 weeks like me or make them 2 weeks if that seems more manageable! I would love to hear your "resolution(s)" for 2018! Make 2018 the year you change your mindset about NY Resolutions, and the year you make one change that makes you better. Be a ten!
Yours truly in all things New New,