The New New Gift Guide: YXE
This year I am on a mission to shop locally as much as I can. The goal is 8/10 gifts to come from a local store, restaurant, salon, or vendor. I love this city and we have some #boss companies here in #yxe so it won’t be hard! Check out my list of go-to’s to get some inspiration, discover some new shops, or just find some ideas to send for your Wishlist this year. Happy Shopping!
A pair of leather gloves: Last shoes. This local store is cozy, and eclectic. The old character home in Riversdale hosts a friendly dog that will greet you happily upon arrival, the shelves are lined with beautifully handmade leather goods, and Adam is almost always there with a smile and suggestion. His gloves are warm, beautifully made, and made in small batches to ensure quality. Your dad, brother, boyfriend, husband, cousin, you get it would all love this as a practical and luxurious gift under the tree this year!
Anything from Hard Pressed, they are always releasing new designs and the aesthetic is appealing to almost anyone. Their store is a gift giving dream so there is no doubt you will leave with some really cool, and mostly local item. Top picks:
- The new pink cropped hoodie, so much yas, already ordered…to me from me?
- A pair of Oneiro earrings, I recently purchased a pair for my picky cousin in California and she absolutely loved them.
- A SK branded onesie, I mean honestly? Shopping local while supporting your friends choices to procreate? Win win.
A candle or pj set from Era Style Loft. I personally love the scent Prosecco. Obviously.
A Saskatoon Restaurant “Pass” get 3-5 $25 dollar gift cards to your favourite restaurants! My suggestions would be:
- Odd Couple: fresh and always consistent Asian cuisine.
- Collective Coffee West: this is a beautiful space to grab coffee a snack and a little tour of the beautiful designed office space.
- Picaro or Una or Both: Both of these restaurants have a great atmosphere paired with tasty food that is easily shareable which is my favourite way to eat! I get food #fomo so this allows for trying all the things.
- Ingredients: this place has everything you could possibly need to host a party, create a gift basket, or just to grab a coffee, chocolate, overly priced Jonathan Adler vodka candle. Hint Hint, I want this.
- Ayden: this place is always good for a fancy cocktail, drool worthy veggie burger, and delicious dessert paired with a great overall vibe. Careful though plan your hair washing around this night as you will definitely come out smelling like a burger….no joke.
A gift card for a salon service at Capelli Salon Studio, this place offers a luxurious experience from the stylists insert: Nikki Sanderson (so talented) to the product, this would be a great way to spoil someone with a blow-out or opportunity to buy a well worth it overpriced dry shampoo #oribe.
A cooking class at The Local Kitchen, this beautifully designed commercial kitchen space hosts a variety of monthly classes that also support local chefs/artisans. This is a unique way to up your chef skills and support local business at the same time. Cooking and well..wine.
A Shaving Kit from Shave Valet, IMO this is a great gift for a man or woman in your life, its retro, good for the environment and has a classy unique feel to it. Added bonus the customer service is phenomenal.
Photo package, session, or class offering by Demo Photo. Seriously this girl is talented. I don’t need to tell you that as I am sure you already follow her, have photos taken by her, and stalk her #guilty on social media. But if you live in the dark and haven’t yet go check out her instagram @demophoto.
Tryst Boutique, for the basic brand lover in your life this place will not disappoint. They carry the latest and greatest from Smashtess (hello romper life), J Brand, Rebecca Minkoff, Gentle Fawn, Line, Mother Denim, and so many more. You will leave with an empty wallet but also with the best gift possible for the boujee AF babe in your life.
I hope this oh so basic post helps with your gift giving this year and it inspires you to do most of your shopping at local shops here in #yxe. If you don’t live here try keeping 80% of your hard earned money spent at local vendors in your city, the service is unparalleled and supporting someone you know? BEST FEELING. What are your top stores you will be supporting this year? I would love to know! Send me a DM or an email and lets talk about it! I am always down for a good materialistic chat. Xo. If you pick up anything from this list make sure to tag me and use the hashtag #newnewlocalgiftguide
Yours Truly in all things New New,